Nokturnal Mortum is a black/folk metal band from Kharkiv, Ukraine formed in 1994.
They started as a death metal band named Suppuration in 1992, then turned to black metal and changed their name to Crystaline Darkness, but had to change the name back in 1993/94 to Nocturnal Mortum due to a band already existing with that name. The band then changed a letter to distinguish themselves yet again to avoid another double name.
Nokturnal Mortum gained their first Western recognition with the release of their album Goat Horns, their second full length album, notable for having two keyboardists play on the album, often on the same song, and for mixing traditional Ukrainian music with black metal. As traditional instrumentation gained in significance and the lyrical concept moved away from black metal’s patterns, the newer releases are classified as pagan metal and folk metal.
They were associated with the National Socialist black metal movement starting around 1999, but later began distancing themselves from it, and in 2014 band leader Knjaz Varggoth (real name Євген Гапон, Yevhen Gapon) posted on Facebook that he was no longer ideologically aligned with the movement or interested in promoting a political agenda with his music.
- 1995 - Nokturnal Mortum - Twilightfall (demo)
- 1995 - Nokturnal Mortum - Black Clouds Over Slavonic Lands (demo)
- 1996 - Nokturnal Mortum - Lunar Poetry (demo)
- 1997 - Nokturnal Mortum / Lucifugum - Path of the Wolf / Return of the Vampire Lord (split)
- 1997 - Nokturnal Mortum - Return of the Vampire Lord (EP)
- 1997 - Nokturnal Mortum - Marble Moon (EP)
- 1997 - Nokturnal Mortum - Goat Horns
- 1998 - Nokturnal Mortum - To the Gates of Blasphemous Fire
- 1999 - Nokturnal Mortum - Нехристь / NeChrist (Russian for Heathen)
- 2003 - Nokturnal Mortum - Return of the Vampire Lord · Marble Moon (Compilation)
- 2004 - Nokturnal Mortum - The Taste of Victory (EP)
- 2004 - Nokturnal Mortum - Мировоззрение (Russian for World View)
- 2005 - Nokturnal Mortum - Weltanschauung (English-language version of Мировоззрение with different instrumental interludes)
- 2004 - Nokturnal Mortum - Eleven Years Among the Sheep (anthology)
- 2007 - Nokturnal Mortum - Eastern Hammer (split)
- 2009 - Nokturnal Mortum - Live in Katowice (live)
- 2009 - Nokturnal Mortum - Голос сталі (Ukrainian for The Voice of Steel)
- 2011 - Nokturnal Mortum - Коловорот (Kolovorot) (live)
- 2016 - Nokturnal Mortum / Graveland - The Spirit Never Dies (split)
- 2016 - Nokturnal Mortum - 22 Years Among the Sheep (anthology)
- 2017 - Nokturnal Mortum - Істина (Ukrainian for Verity, also sometimes translated as The Truth)