Deakin (born Josh Dibb) is a psychedelic pop musician.
Deakin met Animal Collective's Avey Tare (Dave Portner), Panda Bear (Noah Lennox), and Geologist (Brian Weitz) in high school. For years, the four of them had swapped homemade recordings, shared musical ideas and performed in different group configurations.
After high school Panda Bear and Deakin went to Boston, where Deakin attended Brandeis University. Avey Tare and Geologist moved to New York City to attend NYU and Columbia University respectively when they were finished with high school. After months of playing the band finally settled on the name "Animal Collective". After touring with the group from 2004 to the end of 2006 and recording two albums, Feels and Strawberry Jam, he decided to temporarily leave the group for various creative and personal reasons.
In 2009, Deakin did remixes for songs Zero by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs and Mirando by Ratatat.
On New Years Day 2010 he performed his first set of solo material at the Ottobar in Baltimore
Albums (with Animal Collective)
* Campfire Songs (March, 2003) - Catsup Plate
* Here Comes the Indian (June 17, 2003) - Paw Tracks
* Feels (October 18, 2005) - FatCat
* Strawberry Jam (September 10, 2007) - Domino Records - US #72, UK Indie #13
* ODDSAC (August 10, 2010) - Swiss Dots
* Centipede HZ (September, 2012) Domino Records